CONTACT & PRINTS
Hello, I'm Mike, and I'm a Photography Addict.
Based in Newport, East Yorkshire. I've always taken my photography seriously with a professional attitude. My aim being getting good quality images, without many fancy computer tricks, so things look how they should. But you’ll also find I've quite a sense of humour and fun.
Never one to be playing up to the camera, always happiest unobtrusively holding one. My interest in photography started with the gift of a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 110, I’d confused it with a Polaroid Instant camera. But I stuck with it and eventually progressed to a 35mm film camera with manual focusing etc. and was hooked. I left photography for a while to pursue Mechanical Engineering, but it always had a hold. Today of course I use professional standard digital cameras (DSLR's), lenses and software.
Over the years I realised that photography wasn't just an interest. The major turning point came when I got the chance to shadow a Photographer at a wedding I was at. They were shown my images, and the message came back - 'Why aren't you making money at this?' I've also had a photograph accepted and exhibited at Ferens Art Gallery in the Open Exhibition. So, I knew I had to photograph professionally in some form or other, even part-time, and my Mechanical Design Engineering has helped developed my creative imagination, and eye for detail.
Contact Me, for commissions, feedback, to pique my interest in something or make a Print Enquiry. Or come and Follow Me on Google+ / Facebook.
P.S. The 69 in my website name is the year I was born.
If you're planning a Wedding you'll be into making lists of this, that and the other, so I thought I'd give you three of my own, just for fun...
- White Chocolate – Milky bar kid.
- Cake – who doesn't like cake, unless it’s got walnuts in.
- Coffee – Fuel, can’t function without it. White, with half a spoon of sugar, if you’re asking, Ta.
- Black Sheep Beer – To the Baar, and it’s from Yorkshire (but never on duty).
- Raspberries – Way better than Strawberries.
- Photography coffee table books – Inspiration, inspiration and enjoyment.
- Vintage Cars – All polished paint & shiny chrome, although I wouldn’t want to own one.
- Going to the Gym – You have to be fit to stay on your feet and hump your gear around all day.
- Custard – Not the ‘real’ stuff, the packet powder stuff.
- Photography – Did you doubt it would be on the list? Looking at things and people in a different way and hunting out an image that shows people something different to what they’ve seen before.
- Hazelnuts – The ambassador can keep his chocolates.
- Eggs – fried, boiled, scrambled or poached.
- Tea – Why, when you can have coffee?
- Red Wine – I just don't
- Strawberries – Somebody has to.
- Over edited Images – plastic looking people is just wrong.
- Being late – On time is late, I know some have the prerogative of being late, but it’s got to be serious for me to be.
- Junk Food – They don’t call it that for no reason, Fish and Chips isn’t junk food.
- 110% - That’s 50% effort + 60% B.S., 100% is 100% nothing more, all is all.
- Being Photographed – This maybe a bit of a surprise but, I’d like to be known for what I do, not what I look like, and it does give me sympathy with those that are reluctantly in front of the camera.
10 Fun Facts:
1 Personal Motto:
- I’ve never eaten a Kebab, not even a mouthful.
- You can never cross the same river twice.
- I can speak a bit of Japanese.
- Buy it cheap, buy it twice.
- I can’t be trusted alone in a room with an open packet of biscuits or sweets.
- You can run on custard.
- I sometimes unconsciously whistle while I work (never in Church) – All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right tune, apparently, but it sounds good in my head.
- A million to one chance will happen 9 times out of 10.
- I don’t like heights – it’s why I’m as tall as I am.
- The amount of paperwork needed filling in, is inversely proportional to activity being carried out.
Influences & inspiration - Quotes & Rules to live by:-
"Four Beats to the bar and No Cheating"
"It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the extraordinary."
- David Bailey -
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk."
- Edward Weston -
"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."
"I always thought of photography as a naughty thing to do, that was one of my favorite things about it, and when I first did it, I felt very perverse...."
- Diane Arbus -
"...Watch and Shoot! Watch and Shoot!"
- British Army Rifle Range -
"Take the bloody shot!"
- M: Skyfall -